When and how to apply
The ZURÜCKGEBEN Foundation awards annual grants for projects by Jewish women artists and scholars living and working in Germany. It provides funding in a wide variety of areas such as film, literature (e.g. novels, poetry collections, non-fiction books, biographies), dance and theater, visual arts (e.g. exhibitions), and science (e.g. research projects, university theses). Funding is possible regardless of age.
The application deadline for the 2024 funding year has expired. The scholarship holders will be notified at the end of the year 2023. Subsequent applications will not be considered.
Applications must be submitted in writing in digital form. They can only be considered if they
are received by the Foundation during the application period.
The following documents are required:
• The completed application form (PDF)
• A description of the project including a detailed time schedule and financial calculation, both listed in tabular form
• Curriculum vitae with additional information on personal/biographical reference to Jewishness
• In accordance with our statue, our scholarships can only be awarded to Jewish women. Membership in the Jewish community is not a requirement. Scholarship recipients must have their centre of residence and work in Germany.
Exceptions are not possible.
• Only one project proposal per applicant can be considered. Women who have already received funding from the ZURÜCKGEBEN Foundation in previous years can also participate in this call for applications.
• Projects that have already been started can be funded.
• Since the ZURÜCKGEBEN Foundation is not able to grant the full amount of funding requested in all cases and can often only provide initial funding, applications to other institutions are therefore absolutely permitted.
• Only applications in German will be accepted.
• There is no legal entitlement to a scholarship.
• Applications for funding without a signature cannot be considered.
• In case of a rejection of your application, we are unfortunately unable to provide you with any comments regarding the content of your application. We ask for your understanding in this regard.
The team of the ZURÜCKGEBEN Foundation commits to the Bundestag resolution “Resolutely confronting the BDS movement – combating anti-Semitism” (printed matter 19/10191) of 15.05.2019.
The selection of grantees is made by a jury composed of Jewish women.
In case of acceptance, a scholarship contract will be concluded between the scholarship holder and the ZURÜCKGEBEN Foundation. For this purpose, a copy of the passport and a current certificate of registration must be submitted. A German bank account is required for the payment of the scholarship.
The complete application documents should be sent bundled together in ONE PDF file to::
by E-Mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The file size of the documents must not exceed 8 MB, they are to be sent exclusively as e-mail attachments. Other formats than PDF will not be accepted. Applications in other formats cannot be considered.
Please send specific inquiries about the call exclusively by e-mail to: email@example.com